With electronics and technology getting smaller, so are the batteries that power them. Thousands of kids are sent to the emergency room for ingesting a “button” battery. For some kids, they look just like candy. These are commonly found in holiday decorations, remotes, children’s toys, key fobs, hearing aids, “singing” greeting cards and more.
Wise Owl Safety Takeaways:
- Keep coin lithium battery-controlled devices out of reach and sight of children.
- Batteries should be treated like poison for children and stored in a locked or high location where a child could not gain access.
- Each year in the United States, more than 2,800 kids (a 9X increase in a decade) are treated in emergency rooms after swallowing button batteries.
“Share this life-saving information with caregivers, friends, family members and sitters. It only takes a minute and it could save a life.”